January 11, 2024 – Cenntennial, CO
Presented by Dr. Diane Fritz
The FOSS4G (free and open source software for geospatial) desktop GIS software QGIS is a highly capable platform supported by a strong global community of developers, geospatial analysts, and mapping enthusiasts. This workshop will introduce you to the community as well as the software. The workshop will be designed for folks new to QGIS but have some background in geospatial technologies. Even if you’ve already used QGIS, you may discover some new tools and methods!
During the day we will go over these general topics about the QGIS software:
- Introduction to structure and basic functionalities
- Visualization fundamentals and cartography
- Dipping into advanced methods and new features
- Tool and Platform Integrations
Prerequisites: Some background in geospatial technologies and a laptop with QGIS installed. Attendees need to https://qgis.org/en/site/ ahead of time and pull the latest LTR for their particular machine.
Dr. Diane Fritz is the Geospatial Data Scientist at Auraria Library and an Instructor in the Geography and Environmental Sciences Department at University of Colorado Denver, teaching courses in Remote Sensing and Environmental Modeling with GIS. With her PhD in Geological Sciences, she’s a scientist at heart that views GIS as a wonderful tool to apply in many disciplines. She also serves as the current president of the OpenStreetMap U.S. board. When time allows, she also runs the maptime meetups for Denver and Boulder, where attendees explore a variety of mapping technologies. Being based in an academic library where many of the students she helps won’t necessarily move to a career with access to proprietary geospatial software, she embraces sharing FOSS4G platforms as much as possible.
- Time: 9 AM – 4 PM (time to be confirmed)
- Location: 7272 S Eagle St, Centennial, CO 80112
- Cost: $95 per person
- Cancellation policy: 100% refund 7 days before the scheduled event, 0% refund less than 7 days before the scheduled event.
- MEMBERS GET DISCOUNTS! (login to the Member’s Dashboard or check your email for the next GISCO Member Newsletter to get a promo code!)